What song are you listening to right now?

Started by The Fool, Mon 01/07/2013 19:44:32

Previous topic - Next topic

LimpingFish

Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Haggis

Been away from this thread for a long time... the guilty pleasure this week was rediscovering my Bon Jovi - These Days album (first album I ever bought) and playing it at my son all week on the school run. However, because I can never stick to just 1, these have been my big tracks of the past month.

This live performance...  :-D

These dudes...

And then this track from the most excellent Mirage album...

heltenjon

I'm sorry. But this is so silly, so funny...and so well performed. I need my daily dose.

LimpingFish

Sparks! I highly recommend Edgar Wright's 2021 documentary The Sparks Brothers, as well as most, if not all, of Spark's discography.

I used to watch this as a child. In the '80s, obviously, I'm not THAT old. And in English, but f'me the English version of the theme is absolutely NOWHERE to be found. You can also check out Michel Legrand's music for the Once Upon a Time... series. The theme song for ...Life has literally been embedded in my brain since childhood. Ditto the theme song for ...Space.

I know I posted a number of tracks from this album before, Tino Casal's  Lagrimas de Crocodrilo from 1987, but it really is that good. 

And this track from Kraan, a German prog rock band performing since the early 1970s, is taken from their 2020 album Sandglass.

The Art of Noise and Max Headroom; two names that will mean absolutely NOTHING to you if you weren't alive during the 1980s.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Ponch

Quote from: LimpingFish on Sun 21/07/2024 04:14:11The Art of Noise and Max Headroom; two names that will mean absolutely NOTHING to you if you weren't alive during the 1980s.
The tidal wave of nostalgia almost drowned me.  :cheesy:

Snarky

I saw Pulp in concert last night, so I can scratch that off my list. This will always be the ultimate Pulp song for my money:

Pulp – "Babies"

And yes, they played this one, along with pretty much all the hits–the crowd was singing along to practically every song (you could tell that fewer people knew "O.U.", "Weeds" and "Sunrise"). Jarvis was in full crowd-pleasing mode, throwing out phrases in Norwegian and doing that pandering thing where artists change lyrics to fit the venue ("I seem to have left an important part of my brain/somewhere, somewhere in a park in Oslo"). Snark aside, I loved it.

AndreasBlack

Well......I hate to say it, i'll probably ban myself out of this forumsection sooner or later (laugh)

But it's my new preview of a 80's ballad i recently composed, possibly my proudest moment as a composer and i guess you can call me a singer by now  (laugh) I click on the video a lot of times to see if someone more have liked it (tragic i know!). All about them likes! (laugh) Anyways, hopefully you 70/80's guys will like! (nod)
Oh, and thanks Frighter i saw your comment just now, totally missed it before! :)

AndreasBlack

Always loved this ballad, it's just magical too me.

Snarky

I was gonna say I saw her performing that song live when she opened for Patty Griffin and Aimee Mann in Pittsburgh back in 2003 (which was the week I moved there for college), but on second thought I believe that was Sophie B. Hawkins.

Sophie B. Hawkins – "Damn I Wish I Was Your Lover"

Snarky

Some artists and bands I liked at the Øya music festival last week (I'm skipping Janelle Monáe and PJ Harvey since I was already a fan):

slowdive – "prayer remembered"

I must admit I'd never heard of slowdive, though they've been around since the 80s. Their "wall of sound" show was superb, with droning guitars that swept over you and through your very bones, without relying on deafening volume. (The album cannot fully capture the grand scale of their sound in concert.) Biggest discovery of the festival for me.

Angélica Garcia – "Karma the Knife"

She did a very stripped-down set with just her and a drummer (who also set up part of the stage themselves). She mostly played Spanish material from her latest album (I liked "El Que"), but I thought this was the catchiest.

Blondshell – "Salad"

I wasn't really in shape to enjoy their concert (tired and coming down with a cold), but it sounded intriguing enough to check out later.

HILLARI – "Dangerous"

The opening concert consisted of a bunch of Norwegian artists and bands doing just one song each, backed by the band Orions belte (see below). HILLARI has a bit of a Lianne La Havas thing going on, which I quite like.

Kaja Gunnufsen – "Jazzing med Kaja"

I'm completely out of touch with Norwegian music, or I feel I'd have heard of Kaja Gunnufsen a long time ago. The upbeat tunes and girlish voice contrast beautifully with the ultra-depressing lyrics conveyed through very simple and straightforward (almost naivistic) rhymes.

Orions belte – "Bean"

Another Norwegian act. This instrumental band was a nice way to chill out between other sets.

han gaiden – "Talk of the Town"

More Norwegians. They did a DJ set that sometimes verged on the Blade Runner-y, as in parts of this track.

Snarky

A couple of flashbacks:

Patty Griffin – "Flaming Red (Live)"

After Andreas got me thinking back to when I saw Patty Griffin in concert, I've been relistening to some of her stuff. I really love this dark and dirty version of "Flaming Red" (even though the sound quality in this video isn't the best).

Ani DiFranco – "Hide and Seek"

Artists are not necessarily the best spokespeople when it comes to politics, but looking back I think Ani DiFranco's fierce insistence that the personal is political (and vice versa) helped open my eyes on a number of issues.

And one current hit:

Chappell Roan – "God Luck, Babe!"

A+ music video. And the song's flashforward prediction reminds me of (spoiler warning for an excellent film)...

Spoiler
Portrait of a Lady on Fire:
[close]
Antonio Vivaldi – "Summer" (III. Presto)

I made the mistake of reading up to see if the Vivaldi concert was historically plausible. It isn't, as his music had fallen into obscurity at the time the movie is set, but the artistic license is absolutely justified by how powerful that scene is.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk